Friday, July 12, 2013

Movie Interlude

So when I was a kid, I was a bit of a late reader.  I had, and have, a decent memory when observing things...and as I child I just memorized what people told me the words in a given book were, rather than actually learning how to read.  I got away with that for quite a while.  Around second grade, however, I got busted.  My parents...horrified at this, basically locked me up in my room with a some comic books and a kids reader on Greek myths and Aesop's fables in order to get me to start reading.  And that's how I fell in love with the myth of Pygmalion.  For those of you unfamiliar, here's a synopsis.  Looking back on this as an adult, I guess it shows how much of an asocial perv I must be. But I think it explains my love of the movie Rubie Sparks.  It is, intentionally or not, a modern interpretation of the story of Pygmalion.  And I loved it.  If you'd like a romantic-fantasy-comedy-horror-that makes you feel a bit like a weirdo if you like it...then this movie is for you.  I give it 4 out of 4 wannabes!

Here's the trailer:

No comments: