Thursday, April 23, 2009

About FSO Wannabe

So I thought I might take a moment to write a fast blog post about why I want to become a US Foreign Service Officer.

First, a bit of history. Back in the day, which for me means fifteen years ago, I was a bright and sunny graduate of a public university in the DC area with two freshly minted degrees - one in Japanese Literature and one in International Relations. Back then, the US economy was still in the grip of its fear of the Japanese and their economic juggernaut. So, being obviously interested in government and the international arena, I took the FSWE with a bunch of friends. I remember during the testing intermission some jackass telling people that at that point half the people already had failed. Anyhow, a month or so later I found out that all my friends had failed the exam, but I had somehow passed and been invited to the orals.



And I never went.



That decision has never haunted me. I already had a cool job in hand that would end up taking me overseas for four years. I think I bailed on orals because the idea of worldwide availability limited me from going where I wanted to go at the time - which was Japan. Although in retrospect I do wonder what my life might have been if I had decided to try my luck at orals. Most likely, exactly the same (because I assume I would have failed).

Since then, I've been blessed enough to have lived extensively abroad. I eventually came home, got a law degree, went abroad again and came home again, got married, and had two beautiful daughters (FSOwannabe Brat Ichi and FSOwannabe Brat Segunda). And fifteen years later, I find myself still wanting to be an FSO. It's a bit more difficult choosing an FSO life with a family. But, I'm doubly blessed to have a supportive wife who desires an unconventional life for our family.

So there's the background. But why the Foreign Service? On a lot of levels, it's ridiculously apparent to me why one would want to join. It's a life abroad. It's a job that actually pays you to learn a foreign language. There is the allure of being a diplomat. But those are the somewhat superficial reasons to join. A deeper and more relevant reason for wanting to be an FSO, however, is for the chance to serve. It sounds ridiculous these days, but I love my country and believe it is the greatest nation on earth.  I can't imagine a more satisfying career than to represent my country on a daily basis and doing my best to serve its interests.

I don't think I have any illusions about being an FSO. I expect it to be frustrating at times. I expect it to be boring at times. I expect to feel like I'm not challenged. I expect huge amounts of stress moving my family around. But.But. But. It's something I believe in. And that's why I'm an FSOwannabe.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

Found you from a comment you posted on a friend's blog. I have the same backstory as you - went to school in DC 15 years ago, majored in IR, took the FSWE and against all odds (or so I was told), I passed. Then I too bailed on the oral. Career took me in a much different direction. Regrets. So about 6 years ago I re-sat for the FSWE (and this is where our tales diverge) - I failed it and haven't really explored trying again. It's cool to see that it can happen though! Good luck to you.

fsowannabe said...

Noelle,

Sorry I missed the comment! Thanks for dropping by; I intend to update again soon. Currently I'm prepping for the OA in late January 2010. If you still have the interest, keep taking the test - it's only too late when you're 59 and a half, right?