Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What Does 18,000 Lbs Look Like?


So I've been impressed by all the hard work going on at the B Files to pare down on the clutter at her home in preparation for the call to A-100. Which got me to thinking. FSO's are allowed 18,000 lbs of "stuff" for storage. My understanding (and I could be completely wrong), is that of that 18,000 lbs, an actual 7200 lbs of stuff can follow you around the world from post to post. So what does 18,000 lbs of furniture, bedding, electronic equipment, clothes, papers, books, tchotchkes, and any other miscellaneous crap look like? What about 7200 lbs of stuff?

So does anyone out there have any thoughts, or know of any links that can give you a general idea?

6 comments:

Bfiles said...

oh you are too kind to me!

The only hard work that's going on right now is in my head and on my spreadsheets! I thought about doing something last night but fatigue overtook me.

But I'll surely brag about the weekend's progress on Monday! My realtor wants to list the house on 9/13- that's incentive for us!

excellent question, though, looking forward to responses.

TulipGirl said...

It's a heck of a lot. Seriously.

100 boxes of books, a few pieces of furniture, all the kids toys and clothes? Still only about 6000 lbs.

Bryn said...

It's more than you think it is. You get 18,000 lbs for a family. I"m not sure what singles get. But we had a 4 bedroom home and we didn't even come close to our 18,000 lbs.

For 7200 lbs we were able to bring some pretty heavy furniture, clothes, tools, paintings, toys, and tons of kitchen stuff.

Just an FSO said...

Our movers said a rough estimate is 1000 pounds for every room of your house.

Just an FSO said...

Sorry--that's PER room--should've said 1000 pounds for EACH room.

fsowannabe said...

Thanks everyone. It makes me feel better that we might not need to get rid of too much crap if we ever get the call.