Thursday, February 11, 2010

Medical Documents Away!

In order to meet the "worldwide availability" requirements of the Foreign Service, FSO candidates must pass a medical screening. Last week, I spent a lovely day at my physician's office being poked, prodded and fondled (and not in a good way). They also took at least a pint of blood for various tests.

My physician, being a bit curmudgeonly, required convincing (several times) that he actually had to do all the tests required and that he did in fact have to fill out everything on the medical forms. Finally, after checking, double-checking and triple-checking that everything required was done (anal retentive? Yes, yes, I am), I emailed my documents to State's Office of Medical Services today. Given the Snowtorious B.I.G. going on in DC the last several days, I will be lucky to get confirmation that they have received my information by the end of next week. I can't imagine how backed up everything is getting. So I expect to wait a while to hear if I am cleared, or if I have to undergo any additional testing.

Hopefully, to distract me from waiting and to give me something else to obsess over, DSS will contact me soon so I can begin the security clearance process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the medical.

When we were getting it done, we also had to assure... and re-assure... and re-iterate... that *everything* on the forms indicated for each and every one of us had to be done, no matter how much the doctor thought that it was absurd.

Which he did.

You're not alone!