Thursday, February 25, 2010

Some Movement

This morning I received my first call regarding my security clearance. It came from an investigator who is focusing on my time in another city. I'm starting to realize that getting a security clearance is a difficult process not only because you have to provide exceedingly detailed information on friends, contacts, places lived and employment; but also because you are forced to examine your life for all your misdeeds and missteps. It's not pleasant to think about things you might have done that you're not proud of and then have to disclose those deeds to a complete stranger. All of which might result in you not getting a clearance.

I am now going through my head and asking myself, "Did the neighbors across the street like me?" "Did that one partner I worked for have a grudge that could torpedo this?" "How were my performance reviews?" I don't think I have to really worry about this. I think I have led a decent life. Based on the fact I never missed a bonus, I have to think my work product was okay and that I was liked. I'm still in touch with most of my neighbors in Charlotte (which is weird, since I know none of my actual neighbors here in Atlanta). But you never know.

I think this might actually be worse than the waiting. Now I know there is some progress, but I have no control or knowledge of what's being asked or what's being said about me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that there's been progress!

Everyone bites their nails and second-guesses themselves during the security clearance. We were sort of the outsiders in our suburban neighborhood because we homeschooled, so I was scared to death that maybe the neighbors didn't like us and... and... what would they say to the investigator?!?! Oh my GOSH! Freak out COW!!!

Well, the investigator wandered next door and talked to the 18-year-old son while he was out mowing grass. It was a super-short conversation... no big deal... and I remember breathing a huge sigh of relief!! Whew!

We've all been there...

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. . .they find a million ways to torture you between the OA and A-100. Be prepared for weeks and weeks of hearing nothing; sporadic polite but curt emails that ask you for scraps of followup information, from which you endlessly attempt to divine the meaning of; and bipolar-esque waffling between being SURE someone is going to say something horrible about you to derail your candidacy, and not worrying at all.

I think it's all part of State's character-building program. Best of luck to you on a speedy clearance.

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, and that means that the Third Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/9hUsvA

(If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!