Wednesday, June 8, 2011

T-Minus 7 Days

My Japanese language test will be next Wednesday. When I look at this, I feel pretty confident. Since Japanese is considered a difficult language, I only need to pass the ILR Level 2 (which corresponds to FSI's standards, I believe).

ILR Level 2 Speaking - EXAMPLE from DLIFLC on Vimeo.


But then it's been a decade since I used my Japanese on a daily basis, and it's shocking how much I've lost. And there are days when the Japanese won't come out - it feels like I have a swollen tongue and a crippled brain. The smart thing would be to push it back a couple more weeks. But, I just don't want to wait any longer. So...smart move or not, it's pretty much all or nothing for next Wednesday, because the way the register has been going it's a slim chance of getting the call for September even with the language bump.

I'm not sure what I'm more depressed about - the slim chance with my candidacy coming to an end, or that I've lost so much of my once formidable language skills. Le sigh.


Anyhow, thanks to a poster on the A-100 boards, if you are interested in checking out the various ILR levels, go here.

2 comments:

Camille said...

Phil (my husband) hadn't used any Russian in a decade when he took the test also. He hired a private tutor to skype with him for a few days and talk to him in Russian and he said that a lot of it came back to him that way...I dunno, something to think about. Best of luck with the test!

fsowannabe said...

Thanks!