Monday, June 20, 2011

Tick-Tock

So no word back on the Japanese test. According to BEX, I have one more day to wait before I can ask for my score. Not sure how long the response might take. A day? Another week?

Waiting sucks.

I'm not even really sure why it bothers me. Given my recent freefall on the register, I can't imagine I have much of a chance at this point of getting a call for the September A-100, even with the extra .17. So I'll have to start the process over again regardless. Starting over doesn't bother me. I knew when I had to say no the first time that time was not on my side. I figure if I made it once, I can do it again.

What bothers me now is the likelihood that even if I got back on the register in a year or so, I might not get an offer. I'm exceedingly pessimistic about the economy. Once the drastic budget cuts come, and they will come, the State Department will be in the cross-hairs. I don't know what that would look like, but I could imagine hiring freezes on top of the pay freezes, and even shrinking the FS with closures of consulates.

Despite those fears, there is no question that I will start the process over again. But it still sucks. At least I know I have some very fine company.


2 comments:

Alex said...

Because my husband is DNC on the register and will be looking to join in a year or two, I've been asking around people of much higher pay grades than me within State about the likelihood of a hiring freeze. Although no one knows for sure of course, pretty much everyone highly doubts hiring will stop altogether. It may slow, but it's very, very unlikely to stop. So, at least that's something...

fsowannabe said...

Thanks for the info, Alex!