Thursday, March 18, 2010

Medical Clearance Update

Earlier this week I was contacted by a nurse at State handling my medical clearance. She requested some follow up testing and documents for my asthma, which meant getting another appointment with Dr. McCranky and having him fill in all the forms. Or, I should say, agree to everything I filled in for him since his performance at completely filling out the medical documents and answering every question was sorely lacking the last go-round. And don't worry any potential DSS readers, I had clean copies of the forms for him to fill out if he disagreed with anything I had.

It's weird having to go back for additional testing. Although I still keep an inhaler with me, it's generally just out of habit. I haven't had an attack in years (maybe decades). I had asthma when I was a teenager, and it was fairly bad. None of that losing your breath and passing out bit, but I had long-term wheezing, tightness in the chest and a general inability to be active. Although I don't think there is a formal diagnosis for it, I think my asthma developed after spending a couple of years here:


Sweet, sweet smog-induced asthma goodness. I know it is nothing compared to the horrors of smog in other parts of the world, but I still can't believe how bad it is. I remember the first time I met my lovely bride-to-be at LAX and drove her to my apartment in Los Feliz. As we came up the freeway to downtown, I told her that there were some really, freaking large mountains in the distance that she couldn't see thanks to the smog. She, thinking I meant the Hollywood Hills, said she could see them. Of course, the next day when the smog had cleared, she noticed these gigantic mountains behind the city that literally were invisible the day before.


It's a beautiful town when the air is clean.

2 comments:

LifeofSidra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and started to read it! I just found out I passed the FSOT and was looking for blogs detailing life in the FS. Look forward to reading more about you and where you eventually get posted!

Here is a link to my FSO dream blog, that I actually just started today:
http://worldlydreams.wordpress.com/

I plan on updating throughout the process. Hope I make it through! :)

Oh and hey! I live in LA, I don't have asthma! Don't hate on our beautiful city! :p