Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Something Wicked This Way Comes?

Talking heads on the telly are all abuzz about how the public sector is making more than the private sector based on this recent USA Today article. Without even taking into account health and pension benefits, the article states that, on average, federal workers make about 10% a year more than private workers (comparing jobs that appear in both public and private sectors).

From my perspective, where joining the Foreign Service would mean a massive cut in family income (around 70%), I have a hard time crediting this article. But maybe that's because I'm looking to join the Foreign Service for reasons other than remuneration. I imagine most mid-career candidates for the FS agree that what motivates them is certainly not the money. And reading the comments to the article is a bit depressing with the anti-government screeds that seem to imply government employees aren't worth getting paid at all, and the pro-government commenters implying that their salaries should exist outside of normal economic parameters.

I keep thinking of my father, a career Air Force officer who went to work every day at 5am and came home every day after 6pm. He worked tirelessly, and when he retired he joined NASA to continue working for the government and the projects he believed in. And he really didn't get paid well. Shamefully, my first job straight out of law school paid me more than he made after 30 years in government employ. And he had tons of colleagues that went to the private sector and made millions (several who tried to recruit him and which he turned down). I like to think that most government employees have the same level of commitment as my father did. But sometimes I feel like there are two public sectors. There is the public sector filled with dedicated, patriotic and hard-working people. And then there is the DMV.

Anyhow, with this article and all the goings on in Congress, the current issues with the economy and the budget, I wonder if there might end up being paycuts in government, or worse, hiring freezes.

Not before my A-100, please!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Sir,

At this time, it seems that you are in need of some Skeptical Bureaucrat action:

http://skepticalbureaucrat.blogspot.com/2009/12/from-my-elite-island.html

An oldie but a goodie.

Also, my eleven-year-old son was sitting next to me as I was perusing your blog and got all excited about the picture on the lead headbar at the top of your blog. He says it's an oriental traditional something or other and that you fill in one eye while you're trying to achieve something and then fill in the other eye when what you've been trying to achieve is completed? Is this the case? Is that what's on your blog's headbar?

Inquiring minds want to know...

fsowannabe said...

Hi Kolbi! Thanks for the link to the Skeptical Bureaucrat. I want to live on his elite island, too!

And your eleven-year-old is absolutely right. It's a Daruma Doll, which is used in Japan for making wishes. You fill in one eye, make a wish and fill in the other eye when the wish comes true. And that's why it's on my headbar since I'm an FSO wannabe. I have a real one in my kitchen for another wish.

The Daruma is the Japanese name for Bodhidarma, who I believe was an Indian monk generally credited with founding Zen Buddhism. There is a legend that Daruma meditated without getting up for so long (and by long, the legend says decades) that his arms and legs fell off - hence the weeble-wobble look to the doll. Smart kid! I had to live in Japan to learn about it.

Mrs. FSOWannabe said...

Kolbi, if you can get him to tell you what wish his Daruma in the kitchen represents, please be sure to let me know. He's kept it a secret from me all these years and it drives me crazy every time I see it. He's finished law school, gotten a job, gotten married and had two children, and none of that has made him color in that other eye! What other goal could he possibly have??? Auuughhh!

Mrs. FSOWannabe

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!

Mrs. FSO Wannabe, I do indeed smell a mystery!

I'll do my best... My mind is already whizzing with possibilities! Oooo... this could be seriously fun!

And Mr. FSO Wannabe... I officially am in love with your blog's header. What a wicked awesome header for you to have. You get a 100% A++ for that one, Dude!

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, and that means that the Fourth Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/9J6NBQ

(If I quoted your text and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!