Thursday, June 3, 2010

Am I a Snob?

A friend of mine sent this article to me about a man who has visited almost every country on earth. There are only three left for him to visit: Cuba, Libya and Somalia. Initially, my response to the opening lead was to be quite impressed, but as I read through the article I became a bit disturbed by this guy.

I guess I'm not sure what the point of his taking the time and money to travel the world if he, on average, only spends a couple of days in each country, never eats the local cuisine, and frankly doesn't seem to be too into really experiencing the people or places he's going. After reading the article, I feel like he's the kind of traveler I can't stand - just someone passing through to get the passport stamp, treating each country as another push-pin in his personal map of the world.

UPDATE: Bumped to fix link. Sorry!

4 comments:

Sidra said...

UGH! I didn't click on the article yet, but people like that drive me nuts! He is lucky to have traveled so far--try the local cuisine damnit!

Brooke S. said...

Gross is exactly what this is. What's the point?

Anonymous said...

i think you make a fair point, but the article did mention that he at least makes an effort to read about each country he travels to. and at the very least his desire to travel shows an interest in the world beyond the US, which is more than can be said for most Americans. only 22% of americans even own passports.

fsowannabe said...

@Nathantek,

You're absolutely right that he certainly indicates an interest in the countries via his reading. I probably shouldn't dismiss that too much - and you never know the realty of a newspaper article. That being said, the article made me think he's only interested from a completing-his-collection perspective - more about saying he's been X or seen Y than caring about X or Y. Also, it just seemed that he's really not into the people or culture of the places. But I'm happy to admit I could be reading a lot more into this.