Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Unbearable Lightness of Being on the Register


So last week I decided to check where I was on the register. The ever helpful Ms. Tamale Walton told me I was #35 out of 85 fellow Econ FSO-wannabes. A month ago I was #29, a month before that I was #39, so I seem to be staying relatively put. So far, I think I have a good shot at getting "the call" once I take myself off of DNC later this year. Both the June A-100 and August A-100 dipped into scores lower than mine. Barely much lower, but lower all the same. That should reassure me, but when I read the A-100 boards clamoring about how the registers are getting longer and longer and people are getting higher and higher scores, I start to worry that this whole decision to go DNC was not the brightest. I especially feel that way when I have friends and co-bloggers getting into the June and August classes.

Please note, unlike some of the conspiracy theorists out there, I don't think State is getting easier with its Oral Assessment grading policy. I think the economy is just driving a lot of people who are exceedingly well-qualified into taking the FSOT, which is resulting in the profusion of higher scores the last year or so. I just pray that I can keep my place in the 30's long enough. I am really scared of the register ballooning even more over the next 4-5 months; or, even worse, a hiring freeze hitting State at the end of the year. I thought things would be easier once I was on the register, but it's not. I can't imagine how terrible it is to go through this process only to fade off the register. I now have even more mad respect for the people who decide to do this more than once.

My plan is to try and get into the first A-100 class of next year. I don't believe next year's budget has been finalized yet so it's hard to prognosticate, but hopefully they will have a January 2011 A-100; and hopefully I'll be in it. In the interim, I'm going to start burnishing my really rusty Japanese in order to take the language exam to boost my score.

I really hate the waiting and watching. October-ish can't get here soon enough.

7 comments:

Brandee said...

I know what you mean. Everyday I see the CON register grow is a day I think I should enroll in language classes...

A Daring Adventure said...

Thinking of you guys during the nail-biting process. I can't wait for October to come either, on your behalf.

Dustin said...

I know the feeling. I'm currently sitting in adjudications, biting my fingernails and watching the Econ register grow.

By the way, I'm another Atlanta-based, Japanese-speaking Econ-con FSO Wannabe. Nice to meet you! I didn't think the Japanese test was too hard, certainly not as bad as some of the other tests I've read about.

Bfiles said...

oh, I hear you. So is Mrs FSOWannabe on board for Jan? The whole Sept/Oct thing is driving me nuts. If I don't pass Spanish, then it won't really matter, but if I do, there is still all the angst about whether there will be enough spaces in Sept class and whether there will be Fy11 classes in Oct. ARGH!

Anonymous said...

I've been asking myself similar questions re: whether I want to go DNC or not once I finally get through clearances. Right now I'm leaning towards "yes" - glad to see I'm not the only one who's had to consider doing it. For what it's worth, I think these sort of things have a way of working themselves out, although not always how you'd expect...just stay optimistic I guess.

Good idea with the Japanese language bonus by the way. I'm still studying Korean and am hoping to test at some point in the future...if I ever figure out the language that is

Unknown said...

Hopefully I get in a bit higher then that, since my cone has about 120 sitting on it. I know I am new
but Please follow my blog as well.
Or waht until I get to the OA. I don't see myself posting daily but
as things progress in my hunt for a FS job I will post

http://fromtheshoresoftripoli.blogspot.com

Donna said...

Oh, the stress. Good luck, fingers crossed for you.