Monday, June 28, 2010

Is It Selfish to Want to Be an FSO?

I'm normally above-average in the optimism department. Some people have the brain chemistry to make them a Debbie Downer, but I am not one of those people (even when things suck). However, I've found that over the last couple of years, I have begun to be increasingly pessimistic about the future. Especially when it comes to the state of the US economy.

There are a lot of reasons for this, most of them having to do with my specialization in the structured finance field, and watching friends and colleagues see their careers and livelihoods implode over the last three years. So maybe my pessimism is a form of post-traumatic stress, but it's hard to feel confident about the economy. You know it's not a good sign when economists from opposite spectra of analysis start getting gloomy.

Which brings me to the topic of my post. I am ashamed to admit this, but my desire for joining the Foreign Service has a new basis - some financial/career stability. I know that's not a guarantee, especially if things really went to heck in a hand basket. Joining the Foreign Service is not a guarantee of lifelong employment. There's the issue of getting tenure; not to mention the question of whether this career move is the right thing for my family. I think it is, but I'm not sure you could ever know until you're actually doing it.

Compared to what's going on in the banking, finance and legal industries, working for State certainly seems a lot more stable. Obviously, career/financial security is not the only reason. But reading the WSJ and FT is turning into torture. It would be great if I enjoyed reading absolutely miserable stats all day, but frankly, I like rainbows and sprinkles occasionally. And I can't help feeling selfish for wanting to be a public employee at the same time that the global financial situation seems to be gearing for another round of crashing. I'm starting to get really itchy to get an offer and into an A-100 before another Lehman incident occurs and the government has no choice but to close its doors for the foreseeable future.

As of today on the register, I am steady at 38 out of 85.

7 comments:

Destinaish Unknown said...

Hey FSO Wannabe! I love your blog, and though I'd say hello. I agree - the FS makes it very hard to seem altruistic when chooseing it as a career...free travel, power and prestige all flash in folk's eyes when I mention my candidacy.

In fact, the person who first informed me about the FS thought the starting salary was well into the six figures (snickers)! He didn't make it past the OA...and clearly had never looked at starting compensation. A little stability could do us all good, I feel.

That Lady, There! said...

Wonderful post. Thank you for your honesty FSO Wannabe.

I'm sure you're not the only one whose interest in becoming an FSO is due, in part, to a desire for financial stability.

As a single mother, with one kid at home and another in college, I also see financial stability as a wonderful consideration.

However, I don't know anyone who would go through the excruciating process to become an FSO just because of finances.

There's got to be a great love of country involved and an intense desire to serve. That's got to be there and it is.

That's what's getting us through this. That's what's driving us forward. And that's what will get us to the finish line.

Bfiles said...

I agree w the others, there is nothing wrong with wanting stability. Esp as a father.

Shannon said...

I have to say that Dave joining the FS was the best thing that ever happened to us financially. It is not all easy sailing, you do have to make choices and plan ahead for some the of "hidden costs" people don't always think about, but it has made it possible or us to pay off all our debts and put aside a good bit for retirement.

I am trying to get David to put together a blog post about finances in the FS, but right now he is busy trying to finish off his loooong sign-out sheet. Maybe after we are in Kentucky in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Great post. While financial stability isn't the sole reason I applied to the Foreign Service, the career stability of federal employment is looking increasingly alluring these days.

I think there's nothing wrong with wanting career stability - even at my relatively young age, I've been through enough job uncertainty and downsizing to convince me that you have to seriously consider long-term stability when it comes to career choices. No doubt I would feel even more strongly about this if I had a family to support.

Best of luck getting an offer, I'm sure it'll work out for you.

Anonymous said...

Not selfish at all-- all gains from stability will be a wash after considering the losses created by the bureaucracy...seriously.

This job has actually been fairly costly financially. I have lost $9,000 in un-voucherable expenses since January. When the taxpayers are reimbursing you, there is significantly less room for leniency in special circumstances...

fsowannabe said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

AKB - Wow. $9K is a lot to lose. Do you mind sharing what made the expenses non-reimbursable/un-voucherable? And how frequently does it happen? I imagine quite often given the constant expensing required by the job, but $9K seems rather extreme.